The miracle cure we've all been waiting for.
It can reduce your risk of major illnesses, such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes and cancer by up to 50%
and lower your risk of early death by up to 30%.
It's free, easy to take, has an immediate effect and you don't need a GP to get some.
What is this phenomenom? Exercise.
Exercise is the miracle cure we've always had,
but if we've neglected to take our recommended dose for too long.
Our health can suffer as a consequence.
People who do regular activity have a lower risk of many chronic diseases, such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke and some cancers.
Research shows that physical activity can also boost self-esteem, mood, sleep quality and energy, as well as reducing your risk of stress, depression, dementia and Alzheimer's disease.
"If exercise were a pill, it would be one of the most cost-effective drugs ever invented," Dr Nick Cavill.
Our trainers are dedicated to helping you achieve your fitness goals - whether they are to help you shift the weight that has crept on gradually over a number of years, losing a few inches before a special event, gaining some muscle mass or to prepare you for running a marathon!
Our personal trainers will enable you to reach those goals in a fun, safe and invigorating way.
Our personal trainers are qualified level 3 fitness professionals and have many years of experience in the health and fitness profession, as well as extensive martial arts backgrounds. They bring this discipline and varied functional exercise knowledge to every clients session.
The experience of taking your fitness to an entirely new level will have a positive effect on your whole life.
Our aim is to guide you onto a path that will lead to life-long positive changes that will have a dramatic effect on your health and well-being.
To arrange a consultation, speak to a Personal Trainer:Senior Instructor
Brian Reid PT Affiliate Instructors
Alexandra R. PT
Kathryn H. PT
Mobile one-2-one tuition at your home, work, gym or local outdoor spaces.
£1.00 per mile for further distances
- train with a partner/ friend for only an extra £10.00
Pay for 10 lessons in advance:
and get a free Body MOT.
Training sessions include:
- a workout designed to increase your fitness, strength and tone.
- new techniques, exercises and programmes to keep you motivated.
- obstacle course race tuition.
- trail running.
- stretching to aid recovery and increase your flexibility.
Any additional cost of hiring gym or studio space will be added to the clients bill, usually £10.00 per hour
The classes are high energy, fun and motivating whilst ensuring safety and correct technique is always applied.
Within this format you will safely attain your goals whether that be toning, weight loss, muscle gain, improving your fitness or gaining self-defense skills.
All our workouts are designed to be a great all over body fitness, toning and strengthening workout.
Brian Reid has over 30 years of teaching experience and has been a martial arts practitioner in excess of 35 years
studying many styles including;
- Muay Thai
- Tae Kwon Do
- Shoot fighting
- Mixed Martial Arts (MMA)
Brian has participated in many tournaments and held un-defeated titles in Thai-boxing and Kickboxing.
He has run a number of classes throughout the London area for established clubs and privately.
Dispensing professional tuition for individuals, small groups of friends, gym classes, universities, security companies and corporate clientele.
Providing tuition for a range of abilities from absolute beginners to some students who went on to hold European, Inter-continental and World title belts.
Since retiring from competiton Brian has greatly expanded his fitness base with many other fitness related endeavors; Mixed Martial Arts, bouldering, kayaking, Obstacle Course Racing, mountain biking, trail running to name a few
He brings the training techniques of these activities into his group and solo classes along with his passion for active lifestyles.CURRENT QUALIFICATIONS:
Personal Fitness Trainer
- (Grade 3)
- Integrated Training Progressions
- Total Core and Functional Training
- Active isolated stretching
- Functional Integrated Abdominal Training
- Nutrition, Diet and Weight management
Boxercise® - Registration number: 12424
- Boxercise® Personal Trainer
- Advanced Boxercise® instructor
- Boxercise® Kick
Spartan Race Coach
- Race Safe
- Race Fit
- Race Ready
Muhammad Ali Pro (Speed Pads)
- Muhammad Ali Pro Fitness Trainer
MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) Fitness Instructor
Martial Arts Instructor
- Muay Thai (Thai Boxing)
Conflict Management Trainer
First Aid at Work
- Register of Muhammad Ali Boxing Fitness Trainers
- Register of Independent Professional Fitness Instructors
- Association of First Aiders (AoFA)
- Mixed Martial Arts Governing Body (MMAGB)
- British Martial Arts and Boxing Association (BMABA)
ENHANCED CRB CHECKED
Individual priced lessons from: £40.00
Brian is a mobile professional fitness instructor and covers North London and surrounding areas.
Email: Brian PT
Phone: 07525 414 756
Alex has over 10 years of teaching experience and has been a martial artist in excess of 20 years
My styles include:
- Muay Thai
Alex has been an assistant instructor in a Martial Arts club based in Tottenham with satellite venues in Manor House, Camden and the West End of London.
Teaching women-only Boxercise and get fit classes, lessons for small groups of friends or colleagues and individual/ one-to-one lessons.
Providing tuition for a range of abilities from absolute beginners to correcting the faults of practising martial artists.
Alex's friendly and personable approach has enabled her to build up a substantial client list very quickly.
Respected for her great work ethic, Alex is constantly updating her knowledge and keeping at the forefront of adaptations and new concepts in the delivery of fitness programs.
Alex is completely committed to what she teaches and to her clients.
Trained by some of the best in the industry you can be sure your training will be delivered to the highest standard.
- Personal Fitness Trainer (Grade 3)
- Comprehensive Core Training
- Medicine balls
- TRX Suspsension system
- Gym Machines
Boxercise® Trainer - Reg: 12708
Asst. Martial Arts Instructor
- Muay Thai
First Aid at Work
ENHANCED CRB CHECKED
- Monday to Friday 06:00am to 17:00pm - £20.00
- Monday to Friday 17:30pm to 21:00pm - £28.00
- Saturday & Sunday 06:00am to 17:00pm - £33.00
Alex is a mobile personal trainer and services North London and surrounding areas.
Email: Alexandra PT
Kathryn Henderson has many years of experience as a fitness practitioner.
Women-Only Fitness Instructor
Kathryn is a fully qualified, professional personal trainer based in North London.
Kathryn is focused on assisting ladies in meeting their sports performance, health and fitness goals.
Whether you are aiming to improve your general health, reduce your body fat percentage, increase your overall strength, build muscle or enhance your athletic performance. Kathryn has an extensive sporting background, achieving 1st British female in her age group during the 2018 Obstacle Course Racing World Championships.
Kathryn is able to use the knowledge, skills and experience she has gained during her fitness journey to support and motivate you to achieve the health and fitness results you desire.
- Personal Trainer
- Resistance Bands
- TRX - Suspension Training
- Functional Movement Patterns
- Bodyweight Exercises
- Core strenghening
- Trail Running
- Obstacle Course Racing Techniques
Kathryn is a mobile personal trainer and services London and surrounding areas.
Email: Kathryn H. PT
Phone: 07392 171 389
Some facts about us
As we get older the body's tissues and organs start to work less efficiently.
We have to work harder and harder to stay fit and active, but keeping fit & healthy is also about anticipating what's increasingly likely to go wrong, and taking steps to prevent harmful events from happening.
Eating the right foods and taking regular exercise helps to keep your body working efficiently and more able to resist injuries and ailments. Also to recover quicker when such incidents do occur.
So, do you intend to slowly watch your waist increase and your health decline
or are you ready to take action?
Toughen Up tailors each of your fitness training workouts to make your body adapt to the exercise activities so you can attain your goals.
Everyones body is unique, your genetics, health/ fitness history, injuries, etc.
At Toughen Up we tailor each of your health and fitness workouts to your bodies particular requirements using varied and challenging programmes.
Each personal training or group exercise class client has a specific goal, and usually more than one in mind. Different fitness goals require different exercise workouts.
At Toughen Up whether you take part in group or one-to-one classes our instructors endeavour to balance your bodies muscles during each and every workout, while still focusing on improving your general health and fitness.
Come on TOUGHEN UP
You have nothing to lose but excess fat and you will unleash a new vital you.
Don't wait for tomorrow. Start Now!
Why don't diets work?
Most diets force us to limit our intake, eat foods we don't like, find boring or leave us craving 'banned' foods and become obsessed with weighing scales.
Sheer determination can allow you to stick to these diets in the short term for exactly that reason, you know in your mind that this is only short term.
The idea of a diet means that you are missing out on foods that you like, which immediately makes it seem that you are punishing yourself.
- Having unrealistic goals - trying to lose too much, too soon
- After the initial weight loss, the hunger pangs, cravings and lack of energy (from lower calorie intake) makes you start to snack on 'forbidden' foods
- Dieting lowers the metabolism, which will result in you burning lean muscle mass, fat and water weight. This results in the body burning fewer calories per day - this is why after the initial weight loss we quickly reach a plateau where weight loss is very hard to achieve and maintain
- People tend to be fixated on their total weight. What is actually important is the composition of the weight
- When you cease dieting your weight will increase rapidly (due to your lower metabolism) and because you have will have lost muscle you will look even less 'lean' than when you started
- Once the weight loss is achieved what then? continue dieting or allow the weight to creep back on?
- Most people regain the lost weight or gain more within months of the diet ending
- Eating like smoking and drinking are social activities - unlike smoking and drinking you can't quit eating
By exercising for half an hour a day, you will burn extra calories and speed up your metabolic rate which will burn fat and increase muscle mass.
This will further boost your metabolism as muscle requires more calories than fat.
It doesnt mean you have to become a marathon runner.
Instead of driving to work couldn't you cycle or walk?, why not take the stairs instead of using the lift? Walk to the shops instead of driving? Carrying the shopping home is a great work-out.
These are very small changes that can be easily adopted.
This is a 'lifestyle change', not a temporary fix.
Without making radical changes to your diet you can lose fat weight and keep it off permanantly.
By removing a few empty calories each day you can make a significant change to your fat weight and body shape that can be maintained.
It doesn't have to be drastic to work and smaller changes are more likely to be stuck to.
By reducing your diet by 250 calories a day:
- Coke 140kcal
- Snickers 313kcal
- McDonald's Quarter pounder with cheese 515kcal
- Krispy Kreme rasberry filled doughnut 300kcal
- Starbuck's tall coffee, mocha etc 344kcal
increasing your activity level to burn a further 250 calories:
- walking for 1 hour
- scrubbing the kitchen floor and cabinets for 40 minutes
- walking the dog for an hour or dancing for 35 minutes
- washing the car uses 140kcal per half hour
- an hour of weeding uses 280kcal
and curbing those cravings:
- chew some sugar free gum
- don't let more than 3 hours pass between meals
- do not skip meals, this is a common cause of cravings
- eat fruit, nuts or celery, carrot sticks etc as a substitute for the sweet things you crave
- have a supply of healthy snacks at home and work
you would be likely to lose up to 2 pounds a week, you would also increase your muscle mass and metabolic rate.
Easier to stick to than a diet of soups, carrot sticks and diet shakes.
Having an event to train for is a great motivational tool to target your training and energise your diet.
Endlessly trying to lose weight, tone up or increase muscle mass can become tedious and the initial drive and enthusiam can start to wane.
By focussing on an event such as a wedding, holiday or a sponsored walk/ run for a worthy cause can help re-focus your attention.